Wednesday, August 26, 2009

HUD progress as of 4.40 26/08

Here is what I've got so far for the HUD, if anything else is required let me know. I've slightly changed the design as I've gone along at suggestion by class mates and Tim.

I've given the horizon and vertical bars extra length just in case it will make it easier for you programmers to use. I'm not sure about how the compass letters are rotated, if it looks wrong to other people it's easily changed, as are colour swaps.

As you can see from the weapons bar (bottom right) I've put in temp values and images so you can get the feel of it. The words on the top bar will highlight when activated, as seen in this image on the "engines" icon. The "!missile lock!" and the warning bar/lights below will light up/flash when a missile is locked onto the player NOT locked onto the enemy.

Also included are possible enemy and friendly icons if there aren't any already made, though once a faction logo has been chosen maybe it would be cool to use the logos for the friendly/enemy icons, depending on the logo designs that is.

Comments appreciated.


2 comments:

  1. Warning signals sound good; the little bit on the bottom right of the compas.. is this a minimize tab? If so it'd be better to have it on the right corner.

    The bars in the centre, I assume these are the same as you'd find in a modern plane. But we don't have gravity and all so i dont know if they'd be used the same way; care to clarify? :X

    I like the crosshair and general setup. Not too sure about what to use the top row for.

    For warning signals, we can always use the 'caution' kind of thing; have the UI work like an OS overlay kind of thing. Programming jargon and all that! xD

    In any case, its good and well done. There is another (more simple) UI that we might need; the ship workshop UI (where we customize our vehicles). I will post on this later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The top row was where my idea for the power distribution came from, I was thinking it might be handy to have the different systems listed as icons along the top of the screen; highlighting the distribution type in use (assigning the squares F1 - F8). If you get what I mean.

    They're blank at the moment, but if you look back at my previous versions of the HUD you can see what I'm planning on doing; having a generic ship diagram to visually show the systems effected by the power selection.

    The vertical and horizontal lines are just to make it look more fancy haha. Horizon: pretty straight forward what that does. Vertical: just make them scroll as the craft changes in "altitude". No real significance here, just makes it look a little more fighter like in my eyes. Also, check my older versions to see how big I'm intending the lines to be, I've just made them longer just in case you programmers require it later down the track.

    Never thought of having the map minimize, was just a little thing I threw in to make it look a little less plain. Wouldn't it be best if the map was always up? Let me know what you guys think, I mean, its all work on your part there, all I'd have to do is slide the little tab along a little.

    Also, forgot to mention that my idea is that the little yellow dots next to the ammo are reload timers, fully yellow = ready to fire.

    Hope that answers some of your questions.

    ReplyDelete